Car Seat with side impact protection (Review of Britax Frontier 85 SICT)
|July 13, 2011||Filled under reviews|
We are big fans of Britax car seats. In fact, we have bought 4 Britax seats over the years.
The Britax Frontier 85 SICT is our new car seat which features the latest innovation in the car seat safety:
- Side Impact Cushion Technology includes energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger
- True Side Impact Protection offers a head restraint creating an extra layer of energy-absorbing EPP foam, keeping the head, neck and spine “in true” or aligned, and deep side walls lined with EPP foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body
I was greatly impressed with the side impact protection. The side cushions not only provide extra protection but also improve the comfort level of the child. Now my kids can sleep in the car seats without having their heads slide down of the side or bouncing forward. However, when the kids are awake, the side cushions do not prevent them from enjoying the view from the side car windows.
It is especially important to me that either one of my kids can ride in the Britax Frontier 85 SICT. This seat is comfortable for kids weighing from 25 to 120 pounds. This also means that I will never have to buy another car seat for my toddler. Moreover, the seat converts from a Five-Point Harness Car Seat to a Booster Seat.
Both of my kids truly enjoyed riding in the seat. They both spent a lot of time singing in it:
I asked my preschooler to tell me what she liked best about the seat. Her main points were:
- It is very soft (the seat has velvet-type fabric)
- It has two cupholders, one for juice and one for water (I was impressed with two cup holders as well, especially since the second can cup holder can be used for another child sitting in a no-cup-holder-seat. Plus, the cup holders are deep enough to hold even the tallest drink)
- It has nice handles to rest my arms (It is indeed much more comfortable for the kids to seat in car seats with arm handles)
We also like that the seat is easy to clean. The car seat cover comes off easily. Even though I wish my kids never ate in the car, this policy would be hard-to-impossible to implement, especially on long car rides. Eating in the car even dry snacks inevitably results in having to wash the seat cover. Removable seat cover is especially convenient when a well-wishing-stranger hands my kids a super sticky artificially colored lollipop. I am convinced that there is nothing more damaging to the car seat than a lollipop smothered all over.
Overall, the Britax Frontier 85 SICT Car Seat is a great combination of safety, convenience, comfort, value, and style.
Review disclaimer: I received no monetary compensation for this review. I received the Britax Frontier 85 SICT car seat for review purposes.